Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Smoque BBQ

The Gourmet Glutton and I actually came across Smoque because of a change in plans. We decided one Saturday for lunch we were going to try Hot Doug’s to see what all the hype was about. HD’s is on California just north of Belmont. As the GG and I got to the intersection, we noticed a line of what must have been 100 people deep that went around the corner and down the block. As badly as we wanted to try Hot Doug’s, we were rationalists (or were just really hungry), and realized we needed an audible for our Saturday lunch.


I had remembered reading about this Jewish guy from Evanston who started a BBQ place in Irving Park a short while ago. Although it doesn’t seem like I should have trusted a skinny Jewish kid with barbeque, I figured why not keep it in the tribe and give the place a shot as we were already in the area. So I pull out my trusty Crackberry and type in the words “BBQ Jew Irving Park Chicago.” Smoque is the first option that comes up, and the GG and I are now back on our way.


Smoque is located on Pulaski Road, about two blocks north of Addison. You can see 90/94 from the place. It is a relatively small, with counter service and communal tables. There were plenty of cars parked around the place (always a good sign), and as we walked in we were greeted by a line 10 people deep. The menu is written on a large chalkboard on one of the walls.


What originally caught my eye were the platters that Smoque offered. Coming from a Jewish household, I was raised on good brisket. At BBQ places, I always feel the need to order the brisket to see how it compares to my mother’s. Just as I was about to place my order for a brisket platter, I notice out of the corner of my eye a couple that had ordered chopped brisket sandwiches. The bread looked like it had just popped out of the oven so I decided to go with the Chopped Brisket Sandwich (comes chopped or sliced). I ordered the sandwich with coleslaw and 1 side (went with hand cut fries) for a grand total of $8.95. Smoque offers other good looking sides which included baked beans, brisket chili, peach cobbler, mac n cheese, and a few others. The GG ordered the same and got a cup of the brisket chili as well.


We take our seats and within 5 minutes our food has arrived. The meal looks exactly like the picture below except it was chopped instead of sliced. I’ve never had such fresh and flavorful brisket. The meat was so tender and juicy and the BBQ sauce they used was both sweet and smoky. I also really enjoyed the bun it was on. It was thick enough to be able to withhold the juices from the sandwich and not break down at all. I think that is a very key and overlooked aspect to sandwiches/burgers. The fries were perfectly fried and absolutely delicious. I love skin on fries and these had just the right amount of potato to make for a great result. They were lightly salted and a great compliment to an incredible brisket sandwich. The coleslaw was pretty light and made for a great addition to the brisket sandwich when I put it on top of the meat. Smoque also gives you extra BBQ sauce on the side that I found useful when I wanted more sweetness!



My bill came out to about $10 and I left perfectly satisfied. Everything was just so fresh and you could tell they were using quality ingredients. The place had gotten even busier by the time the GG and I left. Smoque definitely gives you your money’s worth as far as quantity goes, without sacrificing quality. I would score the place an A-. I will most certainly be returning again in the near future with friends, family (when they are in town), or anyone that wants to bring me for a free meal!


Smoque is the first restaurant to join the exclusive club known as “The List.”


Smoque BBQ

3800 N. Pulaski Rd.

Chicago, IL

773-545-7427


1 comment:

  1. Incorrect - Smoque cannot join the list unless it AVERAGES a B+ amongst the two of us. I haven't written my review yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete