Monday, May 4, 2009

Avec Second Review

I think GG did a good job of describing the dishes we had at Avec. I will just give you a quick run down regarding what I thought of each dish. I thought the octopus was delicious. Very light, simple, yet perfect. My favorite dish of the night. The brandade was good. Not fishy tasting at all (which I was worried about), again very well executed. The flatbread was not very exciting. Tasted like bread with salad on it. Would not order this again if I came back. I wasn't a big fan of the monkfish either. I didn't like that it was on the bone and it had too much lime. That was all I really tasted from the dish. The trofie was great. The pasta was homemade and the fig, pistachio, lamb combination worked perfectly. My second favorite dish of the night. The pork shoulder was nice and tender. Very easy to eat and had a great broth. The flank steak was slightly tough in my opinion and didn't do much for me; probably would pass on that next time. Desserts were both tasty but neither struck me as daring or original.

What I really liked about Avec was the space. I loved the wood theme and the place has a minimalist feel to it. It shows that the main attraction to the restaurant is the quality of their food, rather than the spaces distractions. I also thought the communal tables were fun, as you get to experience great food with new friends.

As far as grading Avec goes, I think they did some dishes extremely well, whereas other dishes fell slightly short based on my expectations of the place. The common theme that I loved about every dish though, was that they are able to take so many complex ingredients and turn them in to simple, yet delicious meals. Everything was incredibly fresh and light tasting. Although I was full at meals end; I didn't leave in one of those food coma's. The simplicity of the items parred with the beautiful design of the space results in Avec scoring a B+ in my book.

MAKES THE LIST

No comments:

Post a Comment